Gati’ refers to the distinct pattern of walking of an individual [lq[k lapfjr iknk L;kr~ xfr% A u`-lk-“kk- 3@14]. It is one of the body parameter which needs to be examined under ‘Ayu laxanas’ (body characteristics) for the assessment of strength of the body as well as for futuristic outcome of health and wellbeing. In modern medical science, Gati is referred as the ‘Gait’ of the patient.
The Jyotish science is complimentary and contemporary to the Ayurvedic medical science. The principles of Jyotish science have been applied in Ayurvedic science at various places. The various body characteristics and Gati (Gait) are described in ‘Sharir Laxan Adhyay’ and ‘Ayurday Adhyay’ of Ayurvedic and Jyotish science respectively. Acharya Charaka had described the ‘Gati’ in the Vimansthana chapter eight of his treatise ‘Charak Samhita’ under ‘Dashvidha Pariksha’ whereas acharya Kashyapa had described it in Laxnadhyay of sutrasthana of his treatise ‘Kashyapa Samhita’. These Gati characteristics are used to predict the future outcome of health, education, and career and socio economic status. Literary review of literature related to Gati is done to study it critically and comparatively from Ayurvedic and Jyotish science. It is concluded that the Gati characteristics can be used as a parameter for predicting health and socio economic status. The persons having normal well organized walking pattern are immune to the diseases and have good health and fortune.
2. Charak Samhita with ‘Ayurved Dipika’ commentary by acharya Chakrapani published by Chaukhamba Orientalia, Gopal Mandir lane,Varanasi-221001
3. Sushrut Samhita acharya Sushruta, edited and translated in hindi by Atrideva, 5th edition 1975, published by Motilal Banarasidas, Jawahar Nagar, Banglo rd, New Delhi -110 007
4. ‘Brihat Samhita’ of acharya Varaha Mihir, edited and translated in hindi by Dr. Sureshchandra Mishra , reprint 2005, published by Ranjan Publications, 16, Ansari Road , Daryaganj , Delhi-110002
5. ‘Nrusti Samudrik Lakshan Shastra’ of acharya Jagatdev, edited and translated in hindi by Abhay Katyayan , First edition 2008, published by Chaukhamba Surbharati, Gopal Mandir lane,Varanasi-221001
6. ‘Dr. Waghe’s Integrated Apprach To Clinical Methods In Ayurveda” by Dr. Subhash Waghe, Published by Rashtra Gauvrav Publications, Nagpur -440018