Cardiovascular disease is now a days the leading cause of death for men and women both in the developed and developing countries and is caused by disorders of the heart and blood vessels, and includes coronary heart disease (heart attacks), cerebrovascular disease (stroke), raised blood pressure (hypertension), peripheral artery disease, rheumatic heart disease, congenital heart disease and heart failure. The major causes of cardiovascular disease are tobacco use, physical inactivity, an unhealthy diet and harmful use of alcohol.
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of deaths worldwide. Any disease which affects the cardio-vascular system or which involve the heart, the blood vessels or both is called as cardiovascular disease. The factors like age, gender, high blood pressure, hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus, tobacco smoking, processed meat consumption, sugar consumption, obesity, psychosocial factors, lack of physical activity, air pollution etc lead to cardiovascular diseases.
Some metabolic abnormalities are more prevalent among them, including high triglyceride concentration, increased total cholesterol and high-density lipoprotein ratio, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and obesity. For men and women, cardiovascular risk is known to increase with age, smoking, hypertension, blood lipids and glucose levels, and obesity.
2. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/ PMC2945204/ Date- 4/10/2014 |
3. Agnivesha treatise refined and annoted by Charaka, redacted by Dhridhabala, | Ayurveda Deepika commen- tary by Chakrapanidatta, edited by YadavjiTrikamji | Acharya,Charakasamhita, Re-print 2005, Varanasi Chaukhambha | Surabharati Prakashana, Sutra sthana 4thchapter, shloka. No-10, Page -61. |
4. Sushruta, Sanskrit text with Nibandhasangrahavyakhya by Dalhana and | NyayachandrikaPanjikavyakhya by Gayadasa, Sushruta Samhita, | Re-print 4th edition-1980, Varanasi; ChaukhambaSurabharathiPrakashana, | Sutra sthana 38th chapter, Shloka.No- 43-44, Page -167. |
5. Vagbhata, Sanskrit text with SarvangaSundarivyakhya, Arunadattavicharita and | Ayurveda Rasayanateeka by Hemadriannoted by Dr.Anna Moreshwar Kunte and | Krishna Ramachandra ShastriNavre edited by Pt.HarisadashivaShastri | Paradkar Bhishagacharya, AshtangaHridaya, Edition 2010, Varanasi | Chaukhamba Surabharathi Prakashana,Sutra sthana 15th Chapter, | Shloka. No- 10, Page -234. |
6. Shukla Acharya Vidyadhar, Charaka samhita of Agnivesha, Vol. 1, Chaukhambha | Sanskrit pratishthan, Delhi, reprint edition 2010, Ashtodariya adhyaya, shloka.no. 3, | Page- 284 |
7. Gupta Kaviraj Atrideva, Ashtanga Hrudayam of Vagbhatta, Chaukhambha | prakashan, Varanasi, reprint edition 2011, Rajayakshmadi nidanadhyaya, | shloka.no. 38, Page- 323. |