The study of structure of body is the entry gate for any system of medicine including Ayurveda. It is mandatory for students to get detail knowledge of Rachana Sharir (Anatomy). Without its knowledge no one is able to treat patient. Our Sages described importance of Rachana Sharir (Anatomy) and given detail explanation about human body organs like Saptatwacha, Marma, Pranayatana. Out of all organs explained, Jivha (Tongue) is one of the most important organs because it is included in Pranayatana which is a Rasanendriya Adhishthana out of five Dnyanendriyas. Tongue is mirror image of internal organs. Its function is to provide information about Shadrasa, also a vital instrument used in Ayurvedic medicine to assess a person’s current status of health and for prognosis of diseases. “Ayurveda” the oldest known modality in the world describes Jivha Parikashana (Tongue examination) as technique to determine a person’s state of physical, mental and emotional health.
2) Vd. Shastri Lakshmipati, Yogaratnakar,Poorvardha, Vidyotini Hindi, Commentary, Varanasi, Chaukhamba Prakashan,Reprint2012.
3) http://www.sacredlotus.com/go/diagnosis-chinesemedicine/ get/tongue-diagnosis-chinese-medicine.
6) Dr. Tripathi Bramhananda, Ashtanghridayam, Nirmala Hindi, Commentary, Delhi, Chaukhamba Sanskrit Pratishthan, Reprint 2015.
7) Dr. Bhaskar Govind Ghanekar, Shushrut Samhita, Sharir sthan, 4/27, Publication M.L. New Delhi, Reprint 1995, Page No.117
8) Moor Keith L, The developing human Clinical Oriented Embryology, Published by Elsevier, 8th Edition, Reprint 2011.
9) Ed Standring Susan; Grayes Anatomy, Elsevier Churchill Livingstone publication, 39th Edition, 2005.
10) Dr. Bhaskar Govind Ghanekar, Shushrut Samhita, Sharir sthan, 5/14, Publication M.L. New Delhi, Reprint 1995, Page No.154
11) Prof. K R Shrikant Murty, Madhava Nidanam,Roga Vinischaya, Chapter 22,Varanasi,Chaukhamba Orientalia, Reprint Edition2008.
12) Dr. Tripathi Bramhananda, Charak Samhita, Poorvardha, Varanasi, Chaukhamba Subharati Prakashan, Edition2015, Chapter 28, page No. 616.