Introduction- Cerebellar Ataxia is a form of ataxia originating in cerebellum. Affected patients shows symptoms such as; unsteadiness, loss of balance; leading to functional limitations and worsened quality of life. In cerebellar ataxia progressive atrophy of cerebellum occurs. This can be compared with Mastulungakshaya in Ayurveda. Case Presentation- A 50 years male patient having six years history of progressive unsteadiness, loss of balance during walking so walks with support, slurred speech, affected grip of upper limbs; admitted in Panchakarma ward. On the basis of clinical features and investigation reports of MRI and CT of the brain; diagnosis done was ‘Cerebellar ataxia’. Management And Outcome- Acharya Chakrapani told that Mastishkya as Shirogat Sneha (Charaka Sharirasthana 7/15) and atrophy means Kshaya of Shirogat Sneha. Patient was treated according to above principle; Bruhana Chikitsa along with Panchakarmas like Basti, Shirodhara, Shirobasti, Nasya, Karnapuran, Sarvang Dhara was done. Significant improvements were seen in clinical features. Patient is now able to walk without support, he can hold pen and can write. In MRI of the brain there was no further atrophy in cerebellum noted. Discussion- In the present case, already damaged part was not recovered but the further progressive damage was prevented. Also, there was significant improvement in clinical features. Ayurveda suggests Vyadhiviparit Chikitsa i.e. Bruhana Chikitsa in Kshaypradhana Vyadhi. Thus, Vyadhinidan (Diagnosis) according to Ayurvedic Sidhhanta and treating them accordingly may be helpful in many neurological disorders.
2. Jones TM et. Al. Treatment of Cerebellar Ataxia, Neurodegenarative disease management, vol.4 (5). https://doi.org/10.2217/nmt.14.27
3. Kenneth wang, Differential diagnosis and intervention in clinical neurology. http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/pt/repository/files/clinical-neurology-papers-for-upload/Cerebellar%20Ataxia%20Paper.pdf
4. Sushrut. Ambikadattashastri. Sushrut samhita. Chikitsasthan. Kushthanidan adhyay 2/70. Chaukhamba Sankrit sansthan Varanasi;2009:321
5. Sushrut. Ambikadattashastri. Sushrut samhita. Sutrasthan. Kushthanidan adhyay 23/12. Chaukhamba Sankrit sansthan Varanasi;2009:321
6. Vagbhat. Bramhananda tripathi. Ashtang Hrudaya. Sutrasthan. Kusthswitrakruminidan adhyay 11/19. Chaukhamba sankrit pratishthan delhi; 2011:529
8. Charak. Bramhanand tripathi. Charak samhita. Chikitsasthan. Kushthachikitsa adhyay 7/13. Chaukhamba surbharati prakashan Varanasi; 2014:302.